Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day 2: getting to know Kigali

Looking up at the ceiling while lying in bed. 
The female anopheles mosquito can carry plasmodium falciparum and its cousins, and is responsible for a majority of deaths in this region throughout history. Thus the mosquito netting, the perfectly maintained window screens, and my am dose of the anti-malarial malrenone. I of course will also use my personality as a repellent, seems to to work with most ladies, oh and 100% DEET bug spray. Homey don't play around. 

Walking around today, trying to better understand the roads and where I live, where work will be. Streets are deserted this morning. The last Saturday of every month is called umuganda: a day of service where the locals all pick up trash, sweep the streets with brooms, etc. No cars on roads from 7:30 to 11. Everyone takes it slow (but the night before, everyone in Kigali goes to the house beside my hotel for a bitchin' party, brah). 

Oh and something no one told me about: BIG FRIGGIN BATS. Size of a football. Everywhere. Those aren't fruit in these trees...

Now it's time for a thunderstorm, so will be hanging out in the room. 

1 comment: