Friday, September 6, 2013

Day 8: Yes medical stuff, but what did you eat?

So at the restaurant New Cactus. There is country music playing. A definite southwestern theme. Mexican in Africa? Dare we hope for a chimichanga?

Nope, Afro-French cuisine. 

As a side note, every waiter I have come across is laughing at me when I ask for their recommendation and then immediately say that's what I want. Very confusing for them, I guess. But I figure they know the restaurant and the menu better than me, so why not let them do the choosing?

Aaanyway, got a grilled tilapia in a butter garlic sauce with the fried chips (freedom fries for you patriots at home). Fish was well-cooked, flaky and firm but not dry.  Decent, but the sauce overpowered it, in my opinion. 

Beernerdness: ordered Pression beer. Oooh, draught beer in Africa! How is it, John? While doing my due diligence online on the place of origin, etc., I soon realized that Pression is actually french for draught. So it's draught beer. Okay but what type, please? Well, think it is Mutzig, a local Budweiser variant, essentially. A lager that's main point of emphasis is that it exists. 

You have now tricked me twice, New Cactus. 

The place is worth it just for the view, however. 

This is looking east toward many of the suburbs. 

Overall okay, but a little too ex-pat for my tastes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment