Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 9: I found the banana "beer."

So this is important: I found the local spirit known as urwagwa, brewed from fermented bananas. Went to a local place called Republika, and saw it listed beside "local wine" - urwagwa. Naturally I had to get this magical banana-flavored nectar of the gods.

Claude the waiter looked at me line I was insane. A muzungu drinking urwagwa? Before pouring his finest, he suggested I just try a little first. First off, it's thick, like egg nog, and coats the tongue. There is a slight taste of bananas, but much more of a coffee flavor. Like banana-infused kaluha. Not especially potent, but it will probably do the job. More urwagwa, please. And hold the banana-flavored methanol, please. 

Wonder if you could make a White Russian with the stuff? Yellow Russian?

Dinner: goat brochettes. Let's do this thing!

Goat was good, not tough at all, as it sometimes could be. Great African vibe to the place, but a little expensive. One of the busiest restaurants I have been to here, with a mix of ex-pats and locals. Not bad at all, especially since it was an easy half-mile walk down the road. 


No comments:

Post a Comment